A Chronological History of Caven Presbyterian Church
1854 – The congregation petitioned for their own minister.
1855 – Rev. Glassford was inducted in Goodfellow’s barn.
1856-1857 – Albion Presbyterian Church was erected on property secured from James Goodfellow. It was a frame structure with straight pews and a high pulpit. In front of the pulpit and on a lower elevation the presenter stood with a tuning fork and “raised the tune”. The minister was paid one pound per sermon.
1874 – The congregation was polled whether to stay on site or move to Bolton .
1875 – March 22 – A motion to build a new church in Bolton was carried. The builder was George Watson. The building committee consisted of James Munsie, Wm. Dick, George Smith, W. Jaffary, and James Dalziel.
1876 – January 9 – The Rev. Caven, Principal of Knox College conducted opening services for Caven Presbyterian Church.
1878 – An organ was brought in to the church on trial.
1880 – 1881 – A committee was formed to solicit subscriptions for building the manse that remains standing beside the church today. James Goodfellow was appointed caretaker of the cemetery in Albion . The old church was rented out, then eventually moved across the road to become a residence.
1885 – Hymnal introduced into service of praise.
1891 – Discussion about raising church and putting in basement or building a Sunday School room.
1892 – Wallpaper, screen doors and windows added to manse.
1895 – Sunday School under construction and finished before year end.
1904 – Porch, storm windows and a wood burning furnace added to the manse. Gas lights were installed in church and manse.
1911 – Electric lights were installed in church and manse.
1925 – Caven Presbyterian Church remained, and declined to join in church union.
Early 1950’s – During ministry of Rev. Allan Farris some remodeling of sanctuary took place.
1963 – June 16 – Cornerstone laying ceremony took place for new Christian Education Centre during ministry of Rev. Marshall Jess. October 20 – building officially opened. The church was extended by the addition of choir loft, organ and pulpit area. A minister’s study, kitchen, classrooms, choir room and storage areas as well as a fellowship room were added.
1974 – Burning of the mortgage on the Christian Education Centre of Caven Church by Rev. Warren McKinnon, minister, Rev. Marshall Jess, former minister, and Jim McAllister, Clerk of Session.
1975 – September 14 – A Heritage Service was held at Albion Presbyterian Cemetery . A memorial cairn was unveiled and dedicated to “The Glory of God and the memory of His faithful servants who rest here”.
Early 1980’s – Downstairs washroom and laundry added to manse during the ministry of Rev. Gabe Reinks.
Early 1990’s – Coloured glass windows removed from sanctuary, and new windows installed with clear double paned glass.
1994 – Fire doors installed and remodeling done in Christian Education wing for Montessori School .
1998 – Office installed on west side of Christian Education Centre.
1998 – November 2 – Final service at Nashville Presbyterian Church, Caven is now a one point charge. Caven welcomes those Nashville folks who have come to worship with us.
1998 -1999 – Albion Cemetery – The cairn is rebuilt on the south side of the cemetery by the Town of Caledon
2002 – Church exterior brickwork repaired Christian Education area artistically painted, new windows and kitchen updated.
2004 – Church sign erected at front exterior of church.
– Isabelle Bottoms
Revised Feb 2005